An Opinion Laid Bare

I figure that my first post should most fittingly be about a subject that makes most people cringe, blush, or hyper-ventilate:  nudity.

I firmly believe that one of the most beautiful things in this world is the female form.  There is no question that this belief was formulated in my youth when, as a boy, my parents divorced and my father took custody of my brother and myself.  We were three bachelors in a house, and through my most formative years, the female sex was a complete mystery.  This was only amplified by my father who, as an artist, introduced us to the work of the masters during trips to the Detroit and Chicago Institutes of Art.  I was introduced to the beauty of women in all shapes and forms, from the hunger and pain of the renaissance to the vibrant colors of the impressionists to the geometric shapes of surrealism, and I was entranced by them all.  And while puberty was certainly a time of sexual awakening and awareness, I didn't share the same reflections or commentary that many of my male friends did about beautiful girls.  They talked a lot about doing things.  I was typically more interested in communicating with females, experiencing their verbal and physical language, and though I was definitely physically stirred by their beauty, it typically wasn't a hyper-sexualized thing.

Today, I create images in which I find constant examples of beauty, and much like my younger self, I rarely feel that a beautiful, strong, sensual woman has to be innately sexualized.  A common tagline that I use for my imagery is "confidence, elegance, sensuality", and this is more than just a collection of words that can describe a strong woman; they're words that represent a mindset or guideline that I follow when working with my female clients.  Feminine confidence is powerful.  Elegance doesn't happen on a whim.  And sensuality is usually a private endeavor, rarely shared with the public.  My goal, as a photographer, is to bring these characteristics out of my clients in a safe and comfortable environment.  They can't be forced.  They have to be invited and come of their own volition, and while I believe that they reside in all women, the path through which they present themselves and manner in which they are displayed is as varied as the number of women who walk the planet.


I think that many women rely on their wardrobe to emphasize their inner strengths -- how she feels, is how she dresses.  A big part of the development of each Roland Capulet shoot is the many conversations about wardrobe and where the model/client's comfort zones reside.  What has been fascinating for me over the past 15 years of shooting is the difference between what I imagined a specific woman will want to wear while defining their confidence, elegance, and sensuality, and what they actually bring to the table.  While we may live in a predominantly conservative society, what I see most often from my clients is an interest in breaking free from some of those barriers and entertaining the notion of releasing an inner woman, if only for a short time.  So when I set up private Pinterest boards on which to share ideas (back and forth) with clients, it's usually quite fun to see in which direction each woman is interested in investigating.  And this leads to the heart of this entry.

Nudity is not required to create beautiful Roland Capulet image.

It has been my experience that a woman's confidence, elegance, and sensuality can be broadcast in nearly any wardrobe that makes her feel safe and comfortable.  For many, this leads to more fashion/beauty-oriented work that focuses on traditional styles while still allowing the inner woman to shine through in pose and facial expression.  For some, the mystique of boudoir-style shoots, incorporating lingerie and more intimate wardrobe is their preference.  And still others are more comfortable in their own skin, presenting their bodies partially or more fully.  And my job with all of them is to capture moments of artistic, tasteful, and beautiful presentation, while retaining their personality and following the guidelines that we have discussed in regards to comfort zones.  A woman who owns her sensuality, in whatever wardrobe she is wearing (or isn't) will be far more likely to produce an image that "wows" the crowd.  A woman who shows confidence, whether fully-clothed or wearing next to nothing is power personified.  She simply has to own the look.



So, when viewing my work and wondering whether you'd ever dare to do something "so racy", keep in mind that while I will give suggestions that may attempt to push your envelope, the ultimate plan will be built around a look in which you will feel comfortable and safe.  And if you're open to exploring a more revealing look, I can assure that the end result will be tasteful and will showcase you in a way that exudes your confidence, elegance, and sensuality.



Comments

Popular Posts